Foundation of the State Museum of Art. The 15th of March 1920

The State Museum of Art was founded on the 15th of March 1920. Among the founded culture and education institutions of the new country of Latvia it was the first national art repository. Museum was opened for the public on the 27th of May 1922 at the Riga Castle. 

The first director of the museum was sculptor Burkards Dzenis. The State Museum of Art worked parallel to the Riga City Museum of Art which was opened in 1905 and since 1919 its director was painter Vilhelms Purvītis. Both museum collections in time merged in the present-day Latvian National Museum of Art.

 

To be continued.