The idea of for the Romans Suta and Aleksandra Beļcova Museum was cherished and developed by their daughter, the ballet dancer, art historian and TV journalist Tatjana Suta (1923–2004). Throughout her life she painstakingly preserved and popularised her parents’ artistic legacy, which she bequeathed to the Latvian National Museum of Art.
The museum is located in the Romans Suta and Aleksandra Beļcova memorial apartment in Neo-classicism style building built in 1911 to a design by architect Ernests Pole (1872-1914). The artists’ family lived here from 1935 sharing it with other residents during Soviet times. In 1987 Tajana Suta regained posession of the whole apartment. She arrange in it a well thought out display of works by her parents and, while continuing to live in these surroundings, regularly showed the apartment to those interested.
At the end of 2006 the Latvian National Museum of Art received Tatjana Suta’s bequest. Over the next two years an inventory of the collection was carried out, work was done on restoration of artworks and furniture, the apartment was renovated and the permanent display prepared. The Romans Suta and Aleksandra Beļcova Museum was opened to the public on 14 October 2008.