Play the Museum!
Play the Museum! is an interactive and educational game for children of elementary and primary school age in which every participant becomes a part of the museum. The activity was conceived with the aim of encouraging students' active involvement in learning about the museum's work through conversations seeking answers to the questions: what is an art museum, what can be found there, what are the tasks performed by the museum's employees?
The first part of the activity is a tour of the museum's permanent exhibition, paying attention to the spatial arrangement of the works and various details that can be encountered in the museum such as labels, lighting systems, posters and surveillance cameras. The second part of the activity is a role play in which each student tries out a profession related to the museum's functioning. In the archaeological excavation box participants will discover Roman coins, Baltic amber, Egyptian scarabs and even a mummy of a cat! Students continue their discoveries in the museum's repository and conservators' workshop, where they will study the reproductions of paintings and models of sculptures. Then the baton passes to exhibition curators, designers and technical staff, who will install an exhibition in the model of Art Museum RIGA BOURSE's Makart Gallery.
- The maximum number of participants in the group – 25.
- Information about admission fees is available here.
- It is recommended to arrive at the museum around 15-20 minutes before the beginning of the activity to allow time for the services of the ticket office and cloakroom.
- This activity is accessible for people with reduced mobility. Practical information about the museum's accessibility can be found here.
- The activity can be adapted for students from special schools as well as ethic minority students by adapting the language difficulty level. In the above cases please confirm and discuss the course of the activity with museum staff.